As machines get smarter and start automating more human tasks, humans will need to trust the machines and feel safe. The technologies that make up the Internet of things will provide increased visibility into how machines are operating and the environmental situation they are operating in. For example, IBM’s Watson provides “confidence” scores for the answers it provides to humans while Baxter shows a confused facial expression on its screen when it does not know what to do. MIT has also been working on Kismet, a robot that senses social cues from visual and auditory sensors, and responds with facial expressions that demonstrate understanding. These types of technology are very important in allowing humans and machines to work together. The 2013 Hype Cycle features Internet of Things, machine-to-machine communication services, mesh networks: sensor and activity streams.
The surge in big data, analytics and cognitive computing approaches will provide decision support and automation to humans, and awareness and intelligence to machines. These technologies can be used to make both humans and things smarter. NLQA (Natural-Language Question Answering ) technology can improve a virtual customer service representative. NLQA can also be used by doctors to research huge amounts of medical journals and clinical tests to help diagnose an ailment or choose a suitable treatment plan. These supporting technologies are foundational for both humans and machines as we move forward to a digital future and enterprises should consider quantum computing, prescriptive analytics, neurobusiness, NLQA, big data, complex event processing, in-memory database management system (DBMS), cloud computing, in-memory analytics and predictive analytics.
- Gartner’s Emerging Technology Hype Cycle (pivotal-x.com)
- Robotics: The Future of the Internet of Things (omayiomicah.com)
- The Internet of Things and its implications for health IT (hunscher.typepad.com)
- Understanding the “Internet of Things” (lgitss.wordpress.com)
- “Our Final Invention: How the Human Race Goes and Gets Itself Killed” (intellectualimperialism.wordpress.com)
- The Internet of things is coming on faster than ever, thanks to a new, huge alliance (venturebeat.com)